Healing Chicken Bone Broth
Recipe type: Soup - Stock - Broth
Serves: 1 Gallon
This week I have spent 5 days on bed rest due to the worse flu virus I've EVER had! Many people I know have also had it and I know in the US there have the 'Change of Season' Fall Flu too. So when I could, I hit the kitchen this weekend to make my Healing Chicken Bone Broth, full of vitamins, minerals and all important nutrients to help build my body's health back to where it was. Use the freshest ingredients you can afford, i.e. free range or organic if you can.
- 1 whole fresh chicken
- 3 Carrots
- 1 Large Onion
- 3 sticks celery
- 8-10 garlic cloves
- 2tblspns Apple Cider Vinegar
- ¼ teaspn whole peppercorns
- 1 bunch parsley
- Place whole chicken in large pot or slow cooker if you have one
- Wash the veg but leave the skin on Trim carrots
- Slice onion in half
- Squash the garlic
- Place all ingredients in the pot except the parsley and cover with water, bring to boil
- Reduce heat and simmer overnight (is best)
- In the morning you can discard the veg and remove the skin and bones from the chicken and keep the flesh Strain the stock and refrigerate until chilled then skim the fat Your stock is ready to use. It can form a base for soups, sauces or can be frozen for future use.
- OR - To gain maximum benefit and goodness from the chicken Return all the veg and bones back into the pot after de-fleshing the chicken (Is de-fleshing a word?) and simmer for a further 4-8 hours depending on your time restrictions (if any)
- Add the parsley for the last 2 hours of whatever stage you decide is for you
- This last stage is optional, but it adds an extra dimension to the broth and depth of flavor, adding amino acids and minerals – such as calcium, magnesium, sulphur, silica and potassium – which are so nourishing for our bodies.
- Do you know someone who isn't 100% healthy right now? Be sure to share this recipe via your Facebook timeline, or tag them in below in the comments