Kale Pine Nut Pesto
This Kale Pine Nut Pesto has to be the best pesto I’ve tasted. No, I’m not tooting my own horn here, the title of “the world’s best pesto” goes to the beautiful home-grown organic kale and basil a friend gave me straight from her organic garden.
Before I left she asked if I liked Chinese cabbage, (which I do) and as she dug the cabbage from her garden asked about kale and basil too. “Yes” to both I said, who wouldn’t pass up organically grown fresh herbs and vegetables?
There is very little I wanted to do to such fresh ingredients, (especially as one fell into the “superfood” category), wanting to keep them in their raw state so Pesto was the perfect choice!
Delicious with crackers or carrots and celery, you could also make it the star of any meat, chicken or fish dish by simply smearing it on top after cooking for some zesty punch!
I won’t give you an exact measurement for the olive oil as I use just enough to bind the ingredients without going too overboard on the oil and you could easily swap out the pine nuts for any other type of nuts you have in your pantry. I’ve also made this with rocket (arugula) instead of kale, the recipe is very versatile.
*Warning – we don’t mind a little garlic hence so many cloves in the recipe, please adjust according to your own taste!
- Bunch of Kale, veins and stalky bits removed
- Two handfuls Basil leaves
- 6 cloves of garlic (I did warn you!)
- 150g (5oz) Pine Nuts
- Small block of Parmesan Cheese
- Couple of pinches of Himalayan Salt
- Juice of ½ a lime
- Place all ingredients in Thermomix or food processor (except oil)
- Blitz together drizzling the oil as it combines
- Mix until desired consistency
- Pour into serving bowl or airtight container and refrigerate (if there is any left!)